Agriculture Commissioner Tommy Irvin announced yesterday that Tyson Foods has voluntarily recalled 2.3 million pounds of chicken products shipped nationwide and to international locations from its Rogers, Arkansas plant due to possible under processing.
“All of the affected products will have P-7221 inside the USDA seal on the label,” Commissioner Irvin said. “Consumers should check the packages for that number first, then check the other information identifying the specific products which are being recalled. If the information matches, consumers should not eat the product and should return it.”
Commissioner Irvin said his department received the recall notice Tuesday from the Food Safety Inspection Service (FSIS) of the U.S. department of agriculture.
“Our sanitarians will be checking retail and wholesale establishments for any of the products during their regular inspections, but consumers should check to see if they have purchased any of the products,” Commissioner Irvin said.
Consumers who have additional questions should call Tyson Foods at 501-290-4714.
All of the affected products have production codes ranging from 3540 through 3660 or 0011 through 0471, indicating if they were produced December 19, 2000 through December 31, 2000 or January 1, 2001 through February 16, 2001.
The packages involved in the recall and distributed to retail outlets will have one of the following product names:
- Tyson Spicy Breast Tenderloins (breaded chicken breast tenderloins)
- Tyson Breast Fillets (breaded chicken)
- Tyson Breast Tenderloins (breaded chicken breast tenderloins)
- Tyson Southern Fried Breast Fillets (breaded chicken)
- Tyson Southern Style Breast Tenderloins
- Tyson Southern Style Chicken Strips
- Tyson Buffalo Style Chicken Strips
- Tyson Crispy Chicken Strips
- KIRKWOOD Breaded Chicken Southern Style Breast Fillets
- Schwan’s Southern Style Chicken Breast Tenderloin Strips
- Food Club Chicken Breast Fillets
- MEIJER Breaded Chicken Breast Fillets
- HILL COUNTRY FARE CHICKEN BREAST TENDERLOINS
- Shaws CHICKEN BREAST TENDERLOINS
- Weis BREADED Chicken BREAST TENDERLOINS
- HyVee Chicken Breast Fillets
- Great Value FRITTER STYLE Breast Tenderloins
(The list of affected products will be available at 9 a.m. Wednesday, February 21, 2001 on the Georgia Department of Agriculture’s website www.agr.state.ga.us in the press release. Consumers also can call the Department of Agriculture’s consumer services at 800-282-5852 or 404-656-3645.)