Pennsylvania-based Hershey Food Corporation has found itself facing litigation after a couple from Springfield claimed that they inadvertently ate a Hershey chocolate bar infested with moth larvae.

Michael and Laurie Acton, both 32, bought the offending 4-ounce Hershey bar on 7 April. They ate three quarters of the chocolate before unwrapping the rest and discovering the larvae. Laurie Acton explained to the local paper Springfield News: “They were alive and moving. I have no idea if I ate any of them. I think back now, I remember pushing things away from my mouth because it didn¹t feel right.

“My husband had a whole mouthful and threw it up.”

Hershey representatives have said that they don¹t know how the bar came to be infested.